Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: simple but important question on filters

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ulrichsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I have two filters, a UV 1x, and a Skylight 1A.

    Could someone please tell me difference between the two and a recomendation on when to use them? The camera manual recomends use of the UV filter outdoors since Kodachrome is tungsten-balanced film. I've heard people say to leave the UV filter on all the time as a lens protector. Should you ever use both at the same time?

    Thanks in advance,
    Scott

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    I'm not exactly sure. I might not remember this correctly.

    UV is used on overcast day, but I forget if that's for video or film.

    Skylight I believe is really just for protecting the lens, although I remember having a perception or belief in college that it ever so slightly "warmed" the tones.

    I'm curious what others think.

    -Alex

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex has it..the 1A and the uv basicly do the same job..because film emulsions pick up ultraviolet light..that your eyes don't..the uv filter is clear to light yellow..the 1A is pink..you don't need any exposure compensation..the filters warm up the blue cast..on an overcast or hazy day..and you can leave them on to protect your lens..you can also use a 81A

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

    [This message has been edited by jocko (edited August 05, 2001).]

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Guess right!..woohooo....

    and don't forget polarizers for taking glare off of glass and bluing up a sky real nice (unless it's a white sky, then fogedaboudit!)

    You can however, lose one or two f-stops
    when using a polarizer.

    -Alex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •